Monday, March 20, 2006

MSG - Monosodium Glutamate

I can't tolerate MSG and avoid it when I can read a label. It makes me dizzy and nauseous. Sometimes after I eat some foods I feel the same way and after reading an email this morning about MSG - I think I know what is going on. MSG or Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein [another name or MSG] is in a lot of food we eat at home or eat in both fast and slow food places. Ask for the ingredient list and see if MSG or Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein is listed in any of the foods on your plate.

What does MSG do? It makes food "taste better." This is from the MSG Facts website.

They tout it as a health benefit especially for older people as it causes them to eat more. I'm not sure I would equate eating more with better nutrition.

What the email I got showed, and which was a greater concern, is that MSG is addictive and is related to obesity. It is akin to nicotine - a known additive that creates an addiction but that no one wants to admit to. It would mean taking on the food industry.

Try this: Go here National Library of Medicine and type in the words "MSG Obesity in the search box." You can then read a few of the over 100 medical studies that appear.

No comments: