Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sailing again - after all these years

I had not been on a sailboat since the mid-60's - but as I live on a river and love water - figured it was about time to go sailing.

All it took was a few friends suggesting that it was time for me to join OWSA [Oregon Women's Sailing Assn.] - and so I joined.

Last night I went out on my 1st Wednesday nite fun cruise - and it was fun - just like advertised. There was the captain and 4 crew. We all got a chance to do all aspects of crewing.....There was a nice wind which picked up when the cold front moved through. Of course the cold front also brought cold pounding rain with it....and we got wet....especially me as I had been determined it would NOT rain so had left my rain jacket home and took a sweatshirt....but after the front moved off it was not so cold but the wind died and we motored back to the moorage..

I had kayaked across the river to Hayden Island to the boat so had to kayak against the current to get back home - which I did very rapidly as it was nearing dusk and I did not feel like digging out my light from where I stashed it in my bag....made it!

Next week - new crew - different boat...I can't wait....

No comments: