Thursday, February 19, 2009

Running – again - again?

I posted about running again last summer...did start then and went for many runs – some with a neighbor. Then it got cold, wet, snowy, slushy and well - all those things I use as excuses. Tried some treadmill running but that was short -lived as well.

So here we are in February and I’ve gotten back to running. The reason? I got a brand new pair of really neat running shoes to test.

Have you ever read Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury? I felt like that 12-year-old with his new sneakers. I remembered when I was a kid and got new sneakers. That feeling of I can do anything...run, jump, play any kind of ball...I was invincible!

Well these new shoes made me feel that way again and made me remember the book – [lost many moves ago as it’s no longer in my possession]

The first day I took dog with me and we did a slow run/jog/walk and I felt like I could go on forever...the shoes had me feel like I was capable of flying. Over the next few days, we [dog and I] added distances and speeds to our morning routine and then one day there was ice on the road.. Yup we are still having grrr winter at times :D

So what did we do? I ran faster on the icy road to see how good the traction was and it was better than other shoes I had worn this year...even though they are all the same brand.

Then yesterday we ran a long distance and we did a lot of it at a fast clip – fast for me is not as fast as for a real runner – but it was or felt like it was faster than I had ever run. In the same afternoon dog and I took a long walk – neither of us was tired..and that was a big wow – running really is a good thing to do...

An aside – on one of our first runs with these new shoes I realized that my dog and I are the same age :D – I’ve had dogs get this old but as I said in my last few posts – this is new for me....

Next I will go for a run without the dog – if I tell you it’s a male dog you might understand why it’s hard to keep up a running pace.

To be continued

No comments: