Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Taking care of YOU

If you are a woman, you are most likely not getting enough sleep - or enough exercise.

Why? Because, in spite of any changes in our cultures, women still have the most responsibilities. And when pinched for time, women forgo sleep and exercise. I know - because I do this too - for me it's the exercise....if I get busy, I don't go to the gym - knowing full well that any intention of "working out" at home - is really a feeble excuse to skip the work out entirely.

From a National Sleep foundation Study we learn:

"... that when pressed for time, one half of women responded that sleep (52 percent) and exercise (48 percent) were the first things sacrificed.

But when women were tired or ran out of time, 39 percent also reduced the time they spent with friends and family, 37 percent stopped eating healthily and 33 percent stopped having sex with their partner. '


I am the master of excuses when it comes to pushing weights; but ask me to play squash and I find the time. The moral for me is to make working out a social event - but then I am not a stay at home mother and I am self-employed.

The other factors - beside lack of sleep and exercise - are also worrisome; eating less healthily, reducing time with friends and family and no sex with your partner. These are bad for one's mental and physical health...

All this leads to more stress and stress leads to spousal problems and spousal problems lead to more stress..

It is a vicious cycle and one that is hard to break especially if there are financial reasons underneath it all.

I know it sounds like a worn out platitude - but women must take care of themselves first - because if you don't, the ones depending on you do not get the care they need....

No comments: