Thursday, June 28, 2007

Weight

I've had a few discussions with friends lately about weight. I think it's a myth that you MUST gain weight as you age...yet I know some believe that..

Yes your body changes but the changes need not lead to increased weight. And don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat so if you work out - you will lose inches but not necessarily a lot of weight. Losing the weight may come at a slower pace than losing the inches. But being lean is good!

Our bodies all work differently - which is why there can never be a "for everyone" diet - yet I see eating recommendations that do not mention any metabolic differences....one size fits all can't work for human bodies and eating.

Take a look at the people around you - some are thin, some are more muscular, some are tall, some are short, some are men, some are women, etc. Should they all be eating the same foods in the same proportions? Nope!

I learned a while ago that I am a protein eater...my metabolism needs more protein per meal than my very active friend who needs more carbohydrates per meal. If I ate as much in carbohydrates as she does - I'd balloon and not only gain weight but get lethargic. If she ate as much protein as I do, she'd feel lethargic. Is something wrong with either of us? No- we have very different metabolisms.

There are some short paper/pencil tests that quickly assess your metabolic profile. No physical testing needed. If you would like more info about this - fill in the info box and I will email back asking you for a phone number as most of you are not near enough to come to my office...I will call you and in 10 - 15 minutes I can give you info - and it's free.

No comments: