Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ah - what we learn as we age : - )

I've said before that it takes me longer to recoup after body stress but saying it and actually knowing it are apparently two different mind sets : - )

Last week we went from sweat shirts, long pants, shoes and socks weather to tank tops, shorts and sandals weather in a day or two!

My body had forgotten how to react quickly to this temperature change and I had some pretty good symptoms of heat exhaustion - even tho I cut back on what I was doing outside and tried to stay out of the sun as much as I could. When the temperature hit 98 and I felt chilly - I knew what was going on so I went in, turned on the TV and all my fans and read a few books while sipping water and hot tea.

This has not happened in my 4 years in the northwest but the symptoms were very familiar from my years on the east coast...

But then I tried to get back to my normal schedule on Monday - exercise and all - and the body said NO! I could not even get my heart rate up in the biking class and stopped trying. After that I decided to not push it...

I had to re-tell myself how old I am as I don't actually believe it most days and promised my body it would have a few days to recoup it's energy : - ). It agreed with that and is very happy today. [It's also back to cool and rainy.]

No comments: