Saturday, April 11, 2009

Aging and Homelessness

I was chatting with a neighbor the other day about wine - when she just blurted out that she had met with her financial advisor last week and was told in no uncertain terms that she could not retire next year as she had planned on.... Her retirement fund had taken that big a nosedive!

She likes her job so she was not all that unhappy – but she been looking forward to spending more time with her grandchildren – and now her retirement is being put off until who-knows-when...

But as least she has a job and a retirement fund that may eventually creep back up into something akin to an amount to retire on.

Unfortunately for others the unemployment rate is at a record high, more stores are shuttering, more homeless are on the streets or in their old cars [including many more of the older generations – people like you and me.]

We used to respect our elders and take care of them. When did we lose that focus?

At some point in the last 30 or so years we became a me-first and a me-only culture and it’s now become apparent that the me-first/only greedy persons have devastated the world’s economy – of course while saving themselves.

It’s sad to see and read about people in their 70’s and 80’s living in cars. I love camping out – but that’s because I know I can get home and take a warm shower and eat warm food at the end of some stretch of time. I even lived in my VW van while driving to Alaska and back from the East coast – but again - I knew I had someplace to return to after 4 or more months of living in that vehicle --- and --- I was in my 30’s!

I can’t imagine doing that now for any long stretch of time – my body would be very unhappy -- and I expect those who are doing this hurt. Cars are not comfortable beds.

We again need to respect our elders and care for them – not leave then out in the streets.

Soon I will post about how our obsession with youthful looks and youthful people may be harmful.

Comments?

No comments: