Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Voices in Our Heads: Mother's Day Memories

I am heavily invested in politics and even though election season is over politics is never ”over.” After a recent major fundraiser - which got me home very late - after a longer week of late nights – my body rebelled.

When I awoke, still tired, I heard my mother's voice "You know – you’re not 20 anymore."

There are other of her sayings that sometimes appear but “not 20 anymore” is the one that comes back with some regularity - especially when I am doing "things" that we ancient elders are not "supposed" to be doing.

My mom started on that mantra when I was in my 40's and began playing competitive softball, touch football and squash. All of these come with the possibility of injuries and I was not immune: broken finger, broken ankle, sore quads, and being hit by line drives!

Ouch - but I did not stop as my own mantra is “play when hurt.” I finished a softball double header with a broken finger and ended that season only after the orthopod said further injury could result in serious permanent impairment.

I would tell my mother of my latest games - injuries or not – and she would repeat her mantra. It became a regular laughing point of all our conversations and she admitted she wished she still could do what I was doing! This continued until she died at 95 and I was in my early 60's - still doing those sports and telling her about them.

So when I had my exhausting week - her words rang in my head and I wondered if she was somewhere shaking her head proudly saying aloud to all who listen "that daughter of mine" - then to me "You know – you’re not 20 anymore."

6 comments:

Elli Fordyce said...

Loved your post, Lyn, and can go you one better. I would have never even gone to the doc (as I haven't since 1976 and am now at 72 still here to recommend the approach). Whatever you want to try, "it's never too late." Go for it.

Best,

Elli
http://ellifordycesomethingstillcool.blogspot.com/

Elli Fordyce said...

Sorry, make that Lynn. I hate it when my name is misspelled or mispronounced which happens a lot, so really apologize.

Elli (not Eli, not Ellie).

Unknown said...

What a wonderful peace! Well written, fun and inspiring! :)

Unknown said...

I meant "piece" but peace describes it too :)
Love & Light

Lynn Dorman, Ph.D. said...

If you are commenting here to "vote" for this article - please go and comment at:

http://folkheartpress.blogspot.com/that's where the votes count :D

Lynn

Dalton C. Teczon said...

Very nice tribute Lynn. Your Mom sounds like she's had a good and full life, sounds like a great person.

I find my mind thinks I'm in my 20s, but my body remind me I'm not, lol, I know what you mean.