Saturday, April 28, 2007

Automobiles and us

Let me ask you a question. Do you get frustrated, angry or otherwise bent out of shape when you car is not working well?

Mine was in for "major surgery" which took a lot longer than anyone thought - due to all the underneath corrosion from years of being in New England.....[amazing what that salt, sand and who-know-what does to your car. ]

Got my car back but the gas tank is needing to be re-replaced as the new [used] one has a problem...
It's drivable but I still got antsy - why?

A friend said she feels the same way and it's about independence...even if we do not drive our cars - we like to know they are around and ready to go - just in case. And if you know there is a problem with the car - it takes away that little bit of independence? Sounds right to me...

The question then is obvious...What on earth will we do when we can no longer drive safely? Giving up a license has got to be worse than not having a car in "great" shape....I've taken the "older" driver classes and learned some things - and we always talk about when do you give up that license... as it is a sure loss of a large degree of independence....as I see it now...but there is a part of me that is and has been tired of driving for a while now.....so I will ponder this questions myself...as I get ready to drive somewhere : -)

No comments: